About Grade 2 – Mrs Best
Grade 2 is an adventure into learning
- We have so many exciting themes in the year, diving into freshwater and sea creatures in term 1. We have an exciting outing to explore Rock Pools and learn more about sharks. We touch, feel, smell and explore as much as possible, to make learning a well-rounded experience. We also do the Bible Challenge in term 1, we love learning long bible verses and amazing stories from the Bible.
- In term 2 we learn all about our feathered friends, birds. We learn about their habitats and what makes a bird, a bird.
- In term 3 we discuss insects and minibeasts, collecting and rearing caterpillars in class and learning about metamorphosis and life cycles.
- Term 4 is where we learn about our amazing Big 5, as well as other African mammals.
- Wherever possible, our theme is integrated into our other subjects.
- In reading, we continue to read exciting books to increase our vocabulary, every day at home. We do daily group reading in class to work on our reading fluency and comprehension. We take regular trips to the library, to learn how to take out books and how books are categorized.
- In Maths, we learn to double and halve numbers, we learn to tell time in analog and digital format, we decompose numbers and we learn about money. We do problem-solving and we learn to measure mass and length.
Why I love teaching:
I love teaching because I love learning new things with the class. I love doing experiments, reading devotions together each morning, getting our hands dirty, learning about nature and above all, I love our reading time together at the end of the day.
My favourite subject:
My favourite subject is Lifeskills because I am passionate about looking after our earth. I love nature and spending time together learning more about God’s creation.
My wish for my students:
My heart for my students is that we grow in our walk with Jesus together. I always make time to answer questions and talk after devotions when the children want to. I hope that every child in my class will see learning as an exciting adventure! My wish is that they would turn into bookworms this year!
Proverbs 3:5-6 (New International Version NIV) – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.