About Grade 3 – Mrs Gouws
Grade 3 is a milestone year being the final year of the Foundation Phase. It is a very interesting and exciting year!
- In Bible lessons we learn all about the life of Jesus, finding our way around the New Testament. The children feel very grown up as they have their own Bibles and get to use them to look up verses.
- In the first term, we explore South Africa, learning where we are on the map. We also learn about our National Symbols and heritage. A trip to the Iziko Museum makes it all come alive.
- The second term is all about water. The children get to design and make a vehicle which moves on water and we test these out by having a race in the swimming pool. This is a very exciting project!
- In the third term, we learn about space, focusing on the planets in the Solar System. A visit to the Planetarium is a magical experience for the children.
- In the fourth term, we are ready for our greatest adventure. We learn about the mountains in the Western Cape and we hike up to Elephant’s Eye cave. This is an exciting outing and allows us to end the year on a very high note!
Why I love teaching:
Teaching has to be the best job in the world! There’s no better way to start each day greeted by a sea of smiling faces and lots of loving hugs. Not one day is like another and not one year is ever the same. Watching each child learn and grow daily is very fulfilling!
My favourite subject:
Mathematics is my favourite subject to teach. I get to take the children from a number concept of only 100 all the way up to 1000. It is such fun to watch them meet this challenge.
My wish for my students:
My wish for my students is that they embrace their uniqueness and continue to grow in character so that they can make a valuable contribution to society one day. I want them to know that they can make a difference and that they will achieve their goals if they believe in themselves. I always tell them that if they can honestly tell themselves that they have done their best, then they truly have.
My favourite Bible verse is Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
A verse for the children is Philippians 2:14-15 – Do everything without complaining and arguing. Live clean, innocent lives, shining like bright lights.